106 Hampshire Street, Cambridge—Single Family!
106 Hampshire Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139
At first sight—you know this is one of those special homes that only comes ‘round once in a blue moon. With over 3,500 interior sq ft set on a luscious lot, this home was completely redesigned by the current owners, one of whom is a Principal at CambridgeSeven architects — quality and authenticity is on full display. This 11-room home offers close to 10-foot ceilings, spectacular large windows, reclaimed yellow pine flooring from Longleaf Lumber, and Venetian plaster walls. Like most great houses, the heart is the kitchen, anchored by a large soapstone island with a Thermador gas cooktop, sub-Zero and Miele appliances, this space is open to a wonderful dining room and naturally flows to the large and delightful yard with bluestone patios, a koi pond with a waterfall feature, and an abundance of specimen trees—all amazing spaces to gather with friends and family. As a unique bonus, this home has a finished lower level with a private entrance, a full bath and kitchenette, perfect for a home business, in-law or au pair suite. Other standouts include, central air, 3 car parking and energy efficient mechanical systems. Centrally located between Inman, Central and Kendall Squares, near countless culinary and popular spots like Oleana, Puritan & Company, Lamplighter Brewing Company, and Kendall One plaza, just to name a few. Commuting is a breeze, Central Sq red line MBTA is .7 miles and Memorial Drive and Storrow Drive are minutes away by car and will whisk you into Boston or onto Route 93.
Living Area: 3,588 sq ft, including 600 sq ft in finished lower level
Lot Size: 5,012 sq ft
11 rooms, 5-6 bedrooms, 3 full baths, 2 half baths
3 off-street parking spaces
Year Built: 1886
The curb appeal of this home is incredible, from the circular stone entrance, past the lush landscaped planting beds, and onto the ornate covered porch where you are greeted by a stately double door with a glass transom.
Entry foyer: You’re welcomed inside to a generous foyer with wonderful high ceilings— this is where you’ll get your first glimpse of the yellow pine flooring that was reclaimed from an old factory in New Bedford. This gorgeous flooring is throughout most of the main level and has just been refinished. The wallpaper and period light fixture complete the space.
Living room: To the left of the foyer is the living room with a ceiling height of 9’6” featuring a 3-window bay and side window outfitted with wood shutters. The walls were finished with Venetian plaster, an artisan technique originating from Italy. The built-in bookshelves add charm and elegance to this room.
Dining room: Entering through a wide doorway to the inviting dining room with a chair rail and a built-in china cabinet. There are multiple large windows that overlook the beautifully landscaped back yard.
Eat-in kitchen: Connected to the dining room is the masterfully designed kitchen where form follows function. The heart of the kitchen is a large honed soapstone center island that overhangs to create counter seating. The island also houses the 5-burner Thermador gas cooktop with downdraft vent. Appliance suite includes: Stainless Sub-Zero French door refrigerator, and a Miele convection oven and dishwasher. Shaker style cherry cabinets provide plentiful storage.
Half-bath: The powder room has a pedestal sink and tile flooring. The walls in this room have been finished with the Venetian plaster technique.
Den/family room: This cozy room is surrounded by windows and overlooks the yard. There’s a fabulous gas fireplace with a custom-built soapstone mantel and hearth. This room has new carpeting, a ceiling fan, and has been freshly painted.
Private fenced enclosed yard: Of the many incredible features this house has to offer, the yard is at the top of the list. This urban oasis with its beautiful specimen trees, raised stone planting beds, water feature and patio areas are equal parts sanctuary and outside living space.
Two bluestone patios—the patio furniture could be included.
Koi pond with spillway cascading waterfall feature.
Timed landscape lighting and irrigation system.
Trees and plantings include: White Birch, White Magnolia, Kousa Dogwood, Pear Tree, Red Maple, Cypress Tree, Serviceberry Tree and climbing Wisteria.
Year-round green grass.
Additional Fenced area off of the kitchen has a small deck which leads to a patio, perfect for grilling and the grill is included! The oversized shed is perfect for bikes and other outdoor gear.
- Main bedroom suite: This large bedroom suite has three distinctive warm and cozy areas: a large dressing area with two double closets, a bay window nook great for reading, and the king-sized sleeping space with an ensuite full bath. This room has been painted with the Venetian plaster technique, has a corner exposure and is carpeted.
- Ensuite bath, has a walk-in shower with a glass door, white tile surround, single vessel sink with marble vanity and tumbled marble flooring.
- Second & third bedrooms: The two additional bedrooms on this floor have great ceiling height, nice and sunny with corner window exposures, good sized closets, a ceiling fan and carpeting.
- Full bath and laundry: This bath has two pedestal sinks, a combination tub and shower with white subway tile surround. The walls have wainscotting and Venetian plaster. Side by side front loading LG washer and electric dryer are included in the sale.
- Linen closet is along the hallway.
- Fourth and fifth bedroom: Both rooms are a good size with new carpeting, ceiling fans, and fresh paint.
- Half bath: A convenient powder room is off one of the bedrooms and features a pedestal sink and toilet.
Finished lower level with private entrance:
You can enter the finished lower level from either a private exterior door off of the driveway or through the interior stairs off of the kitchen.
- Sixth bedroom: this room is carpeted and has built-in cabinetry and recessed lighting.
- Media room/home office: this room has painted plywood flooring, a window and recessed lighting.
- Kitchenette/wet bar: galley kitchen currently outfitted with a refrigerator, sink and laminate countertop. There is tile flooring and an automatic drain pump.
- Full bathroom: combination tub and shower with white subway tiles, pedestal sink and stone flooring.
- Heat: 4-Zone Buderus gas-fired forced hot water boiler system (2012) heats through baseboards and has been regularly serviced by Sila.
- Hot Water: Heat-Flo indirect water heater (2018).
- Air Conditioning: there are 6 Mitsubishi split ductless units, each operated individually by remote.
- Electrical: 200 amps with circuit breakers.
- Alarm System: ADT alarm system with 4 keypads throughout.
Exterior and Property:
- Windows: Pella thermopane tilt and wash (2007).
- Roof: Slate roof is original, and the asphalt portion was replaced in 2005.
- Siding: house was painted in 2015 and touched up in 2020.
- Trench drain to dry wells: All downspouts go to 2 dry wells. One located in the backyard, the other located on the driveway side.
- Gross interior area: 3,588 sq ft, which includes 600 sq ft of finished lower level and 496 sq ft of unfinished basement used for storage and utilities.
Parking: 3 off street parking spots in driveway.
- Taxes: $8,554 FY 2020 with discount for residential exemption.
- Utilities: average monthly cost is $187 for gas, $249 for electricity, and $91 for water & sewer, according to the Sellers.
- Personal Property: The TV and TV mount in the den, the gas grill and the Adirondack chairs can be included in the sale. The Sellers are leaving the dehumidifier, a shop vac and the basement shelving. The table, chairs and umbrella on the patio are available for $3,500.
- Note: the house was moved to this location in 1983 and a new foundation was built at that time.
- There is a 50 year Historic Preservation Agreement that goes until 2033, which requires the Cambridge Historic Commission to approve any exterior changes visible from the street.
In an effort to follow COVID-19 protocols, please refer to the following showing instructions:
- Please view the virtual tour and review all property information prior to scheduling a showing.
- All visitors please wear masks and socially distance while in and on the property.
- Visitors will be asked to use hand sanitizer or be given a fresh pair of gloves before entering the property.
- Bathroom facilities may not be used.
- All discussions about the property to take place outside so as to keep the interior visits as brief as possible.